I Shot a Gun Once
I was raised to be afraid of guns. In my mind they're like dynomite, highly volatile, could go off at any moment. Death weapons.
A few years back, at least 3 or 4+ now, a coworker of mine took me to the local gun range. He had a .22 rifle, and it was actually pretty fun. I came home wanting a gun, knowing it wasn't right for me. Never acted on it.
If I had purchased a gun at that time, I probably would have shot one of my cycling friends, but that's another story alltogether.
In any event, in a few minutes a coworker and I are being picked up to go quail hunting. I was coaxed into agreeing about a month ago. At the time, I figured I'd check it out, hang with the boys and get a few days off work! I'm mixed on the subject. I eat meat, I love the shit out of it. I think my reservation comes from seeing an animal die. Watching it twitch, take its last breath. I get hungup on that. I hear that the dogs usually bring back the birds dead.
This is probably MORE humane though. Animals that didn't spend 100% of their life in a box. They'll be used 100%, no waste. This is a good thing, if I can get over it.
One of my biggest fears is that I'll like it. My coworkers hunt deer, quail and turkey. Rifles, shotguns, bow & arrow. Any excuse to throw up the cammo and head out to the woods. I hope I don't turn into a redneck. I did drive the truck in today though, for effect.
Oh well. I'm pretty good at paintball and counter-strike. I even practiced a little old school nintendo duck-hunt online yesterday.
-Dude
A few years back, at least 3 or 4+ now, a coworker of mine took me to the local gun range. He had a .22 rifle, and it was actually pretty fun. I came home wanting a gun, knowing it wasn't right for me. Never acted on it.
If I had purchased a gun at that time, I probably would have shot one of my cycling friends, but that's another story alltogether.
In any event, in a few minutes a coworker and I are being picked up to go quail hunting. I was coaxed into agreeing about a month ago. At the time, I figured I'd check it out, hang with the boys and get a few days off work! I'm mixed on the subject. I eat meat, I love the shit out of it. I think my reservation comes from seeing an animal die. Watching it twitch, take its last breath. I get hungup on that. I hear that the dogs usually bring back the birds dead.
This is probably MORE humane though. Animals that didn't spend 100% of their life in a box. They'll be used 100%, no waste. This is a good thing, if I can get over it.
One of my biggest fears is that I'll like it. My coworkers hunt deer, quail and turkey. Rifles, shotguns, bow & arrow. Any excuse to throw up the cammo and head out to the woods. I hope I don't turn into a redneck. I did drive the truck in today though, for effect.
Oh well. I'm pretty good at paintball and counter-strike. I even practiced a little old school nintendo duck-hunt online yesterday.
-Dude
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home