epicDude's Ramblings

Thursday, February 16, 2006

3am Work Ramblings

I'm not a Sys Admin nor a DBA. Yet here I am; I came in around 10:30pm and started rockin' the house. Moved one of our large databases from one server to another. Sure, it spat out some errors about this and t hat, but the table counts were the same sooooo ... right. Moving along.

Dug through some code left for me by my predecessor [Insert Every Profanity, Twice]. I FINALLY figured everything out that pointed to this DB, and updated the connection strings.

Of course, it's 3am and I'm delusional now ... since I've been up since 6:30am yesterday, and worked straight through lunch today. I went home around 4 and came back at 10:30 ... go figure. (Yes, I know I'm complaining!).

Sooooo, right; since I'm delusional, I decided to install a service pack on one of the boxes that needs it. If that goes well, I might do it on another! muahahahaha!

I made sure to send the token 3am company-wide email so everyone knows I'm here saving the world. I love non-techies ... paper reading, oblivious ... coffee sipping fru-fru-yuppy-bafoons.

Hope none of these updates fail ... I'll be in a world of hurt.

*fingers crossed*
-Dude

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home