epicDude's Ramblings

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Stress.

Tight feeling in your chest. Head getting smaller. Heat index rising.

All imaginary.

Sometimes people just have a hard time comprehending. That's what it comes down to. If we all knew how difficult it was to make a processor, hard drive, or computer program, we'd offer a LOT more respect and leniency to engineers and developers.

I'm under constant pressure to redesign a system. The programmer before me didn't program things right. That's the short of it. The long of it is that I'm constantly battling crashing programs and servers. Meanwhile I'm expected to be engineering the replacement. This takes time.

My boss comes in every day asking where we are with the projects. Then he discusses more features. You can't do both. There's no steady scope.

Today I was told we need to get me some more help to get this thing rolling, we have to get it done. I wanted to explode.

I want a 20% minimum raise, period ... and this is before the fact that I'm expected to redesign everything. We have evaluations soon, which means a standard 3-4%. That's not enough for me. I'm not even being greedy, it's just that I haven't had a raise in 3 years. Sue me.

I think I'm going to blow my top today, which is not smart 'cause of evaluations, but I'm losing my mind. Evaluations are a joke anyways. One time I was told I needed to be more patient with customers. At the time, I was spending about 4 hours a day on the phone being patient.

Oh, did I mention that I have to come in overnight this weekend and move a huge database and 30 sites? Yeah.

Sometimes I wish I could just sell everything and start over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home