epicDude's Ramblings

Monday, March 13, 2006

Let the bodies hit the floor

8am Sunday. I probably ate too close to the ride, but I can handle it; no problem.

Roadies usually leave on the dot. There were about 30 people at the meeting spot, which is HUGE for a Sunday group ride. We left a few minutes behind schedule.

Sweet day for a ride. Started out about 65-70 degrees. Crusin' along ... around mile 15 ... a few guys break out to lead an early attack for a stop sign sprint ...

It was right after my pull ... so I was just behind them as they slingshot by ... they always plan this and it gets on my nerves; team tactics ... but whatever ... I like riding.

Suddenly I hear *chink* ... *ooooomph* ... then you hear just metal and bodies hitting the ground. I turn around and see EVERYONE except for like 5 people behind me go down hard. I was crusing about 25mph, so the people behind me were likely in the 20-25mph range.

One guy was out cold. All fucked up, really labored breathing ... sounded like something was in his airway. I'm convinced he has a cracked rib ... or something ... after like a minute, this guys breathing slows down 1/2 speed ... he's still unconscious ... I'm convinced his chest is filling with blood, and we're gonna lose him ...

Few minutes later he comes to. Doesn't remember much, helmet is shattered. Meanwhile everyone else has picked up. A lot of scrapes and cuts, 1 broken wrist, and another guy coughing up blood.

After everything was cleared up, we had 2 ambulances, 2 sheriffs, a volunteer fireman and a fire truck. Three people were taken by ambulance to the hospital, all on back boards.

It was pretty surreal. And it all happened in the blink of an eye.

I'm very lucky to not have been involved. And as a group, we are very lucky that everyone will pull through.

-Dude

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home